Sunday, August 31, 2008

fair lady

im laughing hysterically, teeth chattering and neck sweating, my hand is holding yours and you pull me down dark streets and fog comes over the look tower of the museum. as dusk falls around orange flowers and trees laden with blossoms you look at me and say, the only thing i smell is you and its an unreal night in the city once again. im biting the inside of my cheek this time, not my tongue, i can say out loud one thousand times, i love you i love you i love you i love you without whispering, without being afraid, without being unsure of what comes next. its 8:00 on a tuesday and my inability to ride with no hands makes you smile. you look back behind at me every other second, tell me, ride close, youre listening to your "feel good music" on your ipod and were screaming brown eyed girl at the top of our lungs riding down oak street. im pulling over to talk into my recorder and his eyes are shiny, ive lost a little bit of that nervous brow, my heart less shaded with worry, i dont feel the need to pull into myself, my smile is easier, my hands dont shake at the thought of being without you, of waking up alone. when you turn in bed in the middle of the night i dont lie awake for hours waiting for you to reach back. i fall asleep and somehow its morning and youve found me, weve found ourselves.
in the hours in between, during the constant drill of construction, my brain is like a fire escape, im sitting over polk street and its a constant hum, i cant write things fast enough, im spinning circles and weaving my fingers in and out until the next time i touch a pen, steady myself against my drink or run my hands over your face. this summer has lit me on fire, has pushed the sky open into breathy sunsets out a window, cold air pushing up under the couch and my eyes, fastened on yours.

No comments: